Friday, May 7, 2010

A pinch of this and a dash of that...

Recently Dee asked me to start a cooking blog. I told her I couldn't because my recipes would be a joke in the blog world. That is because, most of my recipes involve a pinch of this and a dash of that. The 'this' and the 'that' vary each time even though I make the same dish. That conversation actually led me to this blog post.
I have met so many people along the way who are very passionate about a specific hobby. Some like reading, some like sports, while others like cooking and so on and so forth. I am unable to find that one thing that I would feel so passionately about.
But thanks to the simple conversation above, I realized that my passion is 'a pinch of this and a dash of that'. One day I love to cook, the next day I like to play baseball or the third I busy myself gardening. Or maybe do a little of all of it on the same day.
It has been fun to learn this about myself and to accept it. It is not that I don't know what I want, it is that I want a little bit of everything I can try. Trying new things is my passion, my hobby.
If and when I look at new opportunities in my life, I hope to apply my philosophy of cooking. That there is no fixed recipe, just add in a pinch of this and a dash of that and improvise along the way. Some dishes turn out great others not so much. But the joy lies not in the end result of the dish but in the journey of making it, in adding in a pinch of this and a dash of that and walking away with the sense of joy at having tried something new and something different.
Here's to always trying something new!!

No comments: