Friday, May 14, 2010

Getting down and dirty.

It is that time of the year again! Gardening, gardening, gardening! I had the day off today, so I spent the entire day getting my garden ready. Lots of getting down and dirty. Getting the dead plants from previous season out, getting the soil prepped and planting the new plants.
I became a serious gardener about 3 years ago. Before that I was a gardener who knew nothing about gardening. I took on ambitious projects which were left unfinished and resulted in lots of dead plants.
Three years ago I took a step back, took gardening seriously, read up about it and asked everyone I met about how to do this or do that, and I had a pretty successful year. I was most successful two years ago. And you can read all about it here. I know it must have been a very successful attempt because my husband who used to cringe at me mentioning gardening before that, looks forward to my gardening projects since then.
Last year was good but definitely not anything to blog about. I became busy with other things mid way through the season and did not give the plants the attention they deserve. If there is one thing I learned from last year it is that plants need care. In 2008, every evening after I came home with the kids, the first thing I did after I had given the kids a snack and had them doing homework was to go outside and spend quality time with the plants. Every evening I made sure my annuals were good and the perennials were doing as good as they should. But last year I paid just enough attention to keep the plants alive but not thriving.
But I am back. Back with a vengeance. I am going to give gardening my very best this season. I notice that the more I give to the plants in terms of attention, the more they give back. I feel so at peace and happy when I see the flowers blooming and/or the herbs doing well and/or the vegetables growing well. There is nothing better than home grown herbs and vegetables. I couldn't do this without Michelle though. My neighbor who has my gardening back. She waters my plants when I am on vacation and always has advice or a sympathetic ear based on what I need. Thanks Michelle!
Candi, thanks for your enthusiasm and support! Much needed and appreciated.
I will update this post later in the season when the plants have matured a bit.
I am exhausted, happy and exhilarated today after the hard labor. Here's to a great season for my plants!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I love gardening. I find that it helps me work on patience. Gardens thrive with lot's of love and patience. Just like children!